Projection changes

hawkins at water.ca.gov hawkins at water.ca.gov
Tue Oct 25 11:43:40 EDT 1994

Well, I guess I should confess.  My program is the culprit.  We use a
TM projection which we call CA105.  We use it so we have the capabilities
for land use analysis and map preparation for the whole state (California).
We do refer to it as CA105, but I in explaining it, I do compare it to
UTM 10 and 11.  In doing so, I probably also also either imply or say something
to the effect that it is UTM zone 105.

I have read the mail on this, and I do agree.  I should be more aware of this
misuse of terminology.  I pledge to describe our projection in the future as a
transverse mercator projection, using a central meridian of 120 degrees, an
origin latitude of 0.00 degrees, and a false easting of 500,000 meter.  I will
not refer to it as a UTM projection.

In the near future, we will also be preparing our land use data in the UTM zone
most appropriate for the study area (in addition to CA105), for use by others.

Tom Hawkins