Connecting UNIX & DOS PC's

josh at turb01.dmc.com josh at turb01.dmc.com
Thu Sep 1 10:34:58 EDT 1994

>Greetings from Idaho !
>
>We are trying to find a cost-effective (CHEAP) way of connecting our
>AT&T 386 UNIX GRASS machine and our ATT&T 6386E DOS ARC/INFO machines
>together for ease in file transfer.  Diskettes are fine until the
>compressed file size exceeds diskette size.  PCI seems too slow and
>I am unsure of what's out there like the old LAP-LINK I used to use.
>
>Does anyone hvae any inexpensive solutions?
>
>Thanks in advance -
>
>David Hoover
>Manager, CGIS Section
>Technical Services Staff
>USDA-SCS Idaho State Office
>a16dhoover at attmail.com
>208 334 1525

You may be better off biting the bullet and buying some of the now
relatively inexpensive ethernet cards, since serial line solutions will
entail either putting many serial ports into the Unix PC or walking back and
forth with one end of the serial cable plugging into various DOS PC's.

Joshua Lieberman, Ph.D.                josh at turb01.dmc.com
ENSR Consulting and Engineering        wasser at world.std.com
35 Nagog Park,  Acton, MA 01720        508-635-9500