Stability of Solaris Release

kang at risca.rs.msu.edu kang at risca.rs.msu.edu
Wed Sep 28 10:43:44 EDT 1994

Hi,

I have compiled GRASS 4.1.4 on our SPARC 20 with Soaris 2.3 (patch level
unknown) about one month ago.  Everything went well except one alpha program
(forget which one) need to be modified (only one line code).  I have posted
to the list about one month ago.  Please see the archieve for adding the
-R/usr/openwin/lib to the XLIBPATH variable in the head file.  This should
significantly reduce the delay time of displaying a map.  However, the d.frame
and d.text are still very slow.  Other than that, everything seems to work
correctly.  I haven't tried the MessQ for XDRIVER in the incoming directory,
which claims that it is as fast as the display with SUN OS 4.1.x.  If someone
have tested it, please send your comment to the list.  I may try it.

BTW, I am running OPENWIN 3.3 on Solaris 2.3 and I don't have the refreshing
problem.  If you are running MOTIF, you may try to start your X or MOTIF with
the -s option (don't remember what the -s stands for, may have somthing to do
with backing store??).  We have GRASS running on the IBM/RISC 6000 with AIX
3.2, which uses MOTIF.  I need to start X with "xinit -s" in order to get rid
of the none refereshing problem in GRASS XDRIVER.  Hope this help!

Yung-Tsung Kang
Center for Remote Sensing, Michigan State University.