Installing Grass for Solaris

Grass package grass at sun1.bham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 06:14:04 EDT 1994

Hi Nelson and others struggling with grass on Solaris,

Re my previous list of bugs and Nelsons reply:

> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/openwin/lib

I tried this, but it didn't appear to make any difference. And now (sob) I
can't even get any new (previously unused) monitors to start correctly! If
no-one can help me sorting this out, I'll have to compile from source....

I thought about installing the message queue system, but this apparently makes
use of the same locking mechanism that the XDRIVER uses, so this would not be
a solution either.

> interactyve mode
> but not in command mode
> try: d.3d map=eleavtion.dem elevation=elevation.dted lines=5  (etc)

Thanks, I know these commands do work in command mode (and g.region may be
added to the list), but that defeats the original purpose of these commands
which is to provide interactive capabilities.

> > 4) r.mapcalc commands are executed but the program hangs when it's finished
> >    so it never returns any newly calculated maps.

Is there any way in which we can use the `core' file produced when r.mapcalc
is interrupted? If anyone on the list can help us with these bugs in the
precompiled Grass4.1 distribution for Solaris, please reply...

Martijn van Leusen