SunOS 5, GNU gcc and GRASSv4.1.5

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Wed Apr 26 08:00:00 EDT 1995

A17798%zorro?cecer?army?mil}@bnr.ca>
followup-to: info.grass.user
summary: yes, it works
organization: US Army Corps of Engineers - CERL
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

In article <199504251910.OAA17798 at zorro.cecer.army.mil> grassu-list at max.cecer.a
rmy.mil writes:
>In info.grass.user you write:
>>have to buy one seperately apparently), so we are thinking of using using the
>>GNU freeware gcc C compiler.
>>Has anybody any advice on this - I don't want to start getting into any
 [...]
>  I compiled grass 4.1.x under linux using gcc.  The only problem that I
>ran into was that you need to compile with -fwritable-strings in the
>CFLAGS variable for gmake. (In certian parts of the code literal strings
>are modified which is a no-no by default for gcc).

Ditto for Solarsi 2.3. Without -fwritable-strings, ps.map breaks.
Other than that, it works great. (I also use -Wall, which can
be very revealing :)

--Darrell
James Darrell McCauley, Ph.D.        mccauley at diego.cecer.army.mil
Tel: (317) 494-1198           http://www.cecer.army.mil/~mccauley/