Krigging in Grass, DEM creating

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Apr 20 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Cosyn Bart (bcosyn at allserv.rug.ac.be) writes on 19 April 1995:
>We are in search of a Grass algoritme to interpolate DEM's by means of
>kriging. I know there exists s.surf.kriging (I checked the archive) but
>was not able to find it either in my release (update 5 is included)
>either on incoming in Grass. Any one an idea where to find it? We want to
>use it on IRIX5.2 so also compiling notes should be most welcome!

Part of what you need is at:
 ftp://pasture.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/mccauley/grass
You should look at:
 s.sv.tar.gz - sample semivariograms;
 m.svfit.tar.gz - semivariogram fitting; and maybe
 w.geostat - an unsupported tcl/tk interface.
For the latter, you need tcl/tk installed as well as g.gnuplot
(see ftp://ftp.dartmouth.edu/pub/gnuplot). s.sv and m.svfit
require g.gnuplot (but not tcl/tk). I would be interested
in hearing how well/poor these work under IRIX5.2.

[s.sv/m.svfit may be used with straight gnuplot (if you want
faster graphics). Try tweaking a few things in the include
files if you are interested.]

Now for the sad news: s.surf.krig has *still* not worked
its way to the top of my "to-do" list. At that same URL
is a first attempt by Chris Skelley, but I'm not sure if
it is working. I would welcome help in getting such a program
created.

Darrell
--
James Darrell McCauley, PhD        http://soils.ecn.purdue.edu/~mccauley/
Dept of Agricultural Engineering   mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Purdue University                  tel: 317.494.1198 fax: 317.496.1115