Integration in a DSS

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at mcs.com
Wed Aug 9 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Mike Bender (mike at ce.umanitoba.ca) writes on  9 August 1995:
[...]
>My question is how to start grass up without the interactive prompting
>for database and mapset?  An alternative question is: how can I have
>access to grass commands and displays from my other modules without a
>bunch of programming on the grass source code?
[...]

perhaps the following might be what you are looking for:
  % grass4.1 -help
  Usage: grass4.1 [-f] [-e] [-l location] [-m mapset] [-d gisdbase]
The -f means "fast startup," bypassing the beginning chit-chat
(see also 'csh -f'). Default is to use your last location, mapset,
and gisdbase, as found in $HOME/.grassrc. The -e means "fast exit,"
bypassing all of the clean up stuff.  The others are self-explanatory.

see ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/grass/incoming/new_startup.tar.gz
(just put it there a few minutes ago)

This contains some replacements for files in src/general/gis.  After
putting the files there, you'll have to run gmake4.1 in that
directory. Warning: I have not tested this particular set of files
with 4.1. Rather, this was a file set that I prepared for and tested
with 4.2 (not yet released). However, this set of files is an update
to my previous contribution to moon which works under OSF (thanks to
Simon Cox) in addition to SunOS, Solaris, IRIX, etc.
I used this setup extensively at Purdue University (e.g.,
running v.out.sdts via WWW) and it works quite well. Also saves a lot
of time for normal GRASS usage (since many people always work with the
same mapset/location/gisdbase on a daily basis).

If you (and others) would like to see this in 4.2,
please express your interest to grassu-list (I think that the
jury is still out on whether or not this will be a 4.2 feature).

Regards,
Darrell
--
James Darrell McCauley, PhD           http://www.mcs.com/~mccauley/
16W518 Honeysuckle Rose Lane #214     mccauley at mcs.com
Hinsdale, Illinois 60521 USA          tel: 708.655.0643