Printer Set-up in Grass4.1

Conn Copas cvc at itd.dsto.gov.au
Tue Feb 21 22:45:23 EST 1995

ON??at?Feb?21??95?04?51?40?pm at bnr.ca>
Originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Jeremy writes:

"I'm interested in getting some hard copy of a raster map file I have.
I know that ps.map can be used for this but my problem is going to be actually
specifying a printer to print to.

Any suggestions ?"

ps.map outputs a postscript file which may then be printed using some variation
of lp. The output may also be viewed in low-resolution form using some
utility (Ghostview has good functionality, and it's public domain). The format
of the output is partially specified in a user-created text file which lives in
$GISBASE/etc/paint/ps.devices/<device>. Mine looks like:

level: 2
page width: 8.27
page height: 11.69
top margin: 1.0
bottom margin: 1.0
left margin: 1.0
right margin: 1.0
resolution: 300

This 'device' must be selected using ps.select, before running ps.map.

Some meta-suggestions: Resist the urge to post questions about usage to grassp
in the hope of improving your coverage. If you suspect that your questions
may be covered by the user manual, then it would definitely be an idea to
include an e-mail address in your sig. Do it now, you know it makes sense!

If anyone is still reading: is there a man page for r.colors.paint?

--
Conn V Copas
Information Technology Division
Australia       e-mail: cvc at itd.dsto.gov.au