converting .SIT grass vector files

Coleman Catherine yc5763 at sunams.usma.army.mil
Fri Feb 10 09:15:50 EST 1995

Kevin,

>Hi,
>We are using a GPS system to make UTM co-ordinate measurements of a site.
>The software which comes with the GPS system is able to output it's data
>in what it calls a grass vector format. These files have a .SIT extension
>on them. How can this format be imported into grass? (the software is now
>2 or 3 years old). If this data could be imported directly into grass it
>would be extremely helpful to our project.

I have recently loaded .sit files into GRASS and used them as site files.
I loaded them (ftp) over a local network from the PC with the GPS software on
it.  You can edit them on a PC if it's easier for you, then transfer them
directly into your site_lists folder in GRASS.  (you can tar them in from a
disk as well) The format I used sometimes had a header on the file and
sometimes did not. It seems to work both ways.  This is an example of the file
I transfered.  You can imediately use d.sites and they will show up on your
monitor.  To list them with their labels you must have both the cat# and a
label name.

For example:

name|C:\PFPRO\DATA\PFINDER\SNAKES\S110317A.COR
desc|S111620C
579166.620|4575969.899|01|324.220
578979.581|4576117.185|01|313.885
578865.345|4576298.503|01|247.736

This is the original file from the GPS software.  I loaded it into GRASS and,
using vi or any other text editor, I changed it to the following format.

name|snakes.sit
desc|male
579166.620|4575969.899|#1 loc1

this is:

name|(filename)
desc|(file description)
easting|northing|#cat label

As I said before, I have used site files without the name and description
header and they worked just fine.

Hope this is helpful.  It's pretty easy once you do it once.

Catherine
---------
Catherine H. Coleman
Natural Resources Branch, DHPW      Ph:   914-938-5939
U.S. Military Academy               Fax:  914-938-5453
West Point, NY  10996               email: yc5763 at westpoint-emh2.army.mil