Announcement: xdigit-binary for Linux

Andreas Holz (CIP guests) asholz at faui01.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Feb 17 04:39:00 EST 1995

Dear GRASS Community

As a preliminary taste of XGRASS to Linux-users I put
xdigit as a binary on moon.

There are two files:

        xdigit.linux.bin.gz     statically linked linux binary
                                uncompress with gzip and copy
                                it into the grass binary directory
				rename it to xdigit

				(X11 is statically linked, so You should have
				 no problem running on X11R6).

        app-defaults.tar.gz     application defaults needed by xgrass.
                                I think, xdigit will run without this
                                files (I think, thats, I'm not shure).
                                uncompress it in the grass etc directory
                                with tar --ungzip -xvf app-defaults.tar.gz

Simply start xdigit from the grass prompt.

xdigit is really great. It is running perfectly, with one exception, if You
will use the "Where am I" button, xdigit will hang, because You'll neither
be able to close the dialog box nor to close xdigit.

I was'nt be able to test xdigit with an external digitizer!

(in case of problems and questions please mail to holz at oi32.kwu.siemens.de
 first!)

Dipl. Geol. Andreas Holz    email: asholz at cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Institut fuer Geologie und Mineralogie