new program - converting sites to raster maps

Simon Cox S.Cox at solo.ned.dem.csiro.au
Wed Jun 28 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Difference between s.to.cell and s.to.rast:

At 10:06 AM 27/6/95 -0500, Malcolm Williamson wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Simon Cox wrote:
>
>> I have put a new program s.to.cell on moon in "incoming".
>> The file "s.to.cell.tar.gz" contains all you should need.

>Hi, Simon
>Could you specify the differences between this program and the
>contributed program "s.to.rast"? I know that our GRASS users will
>approach me with the same question :)     Thanks,
>-------

I have had this question a couple of times now so clearly I need to let the
list know!

s.to.cell is different to s.to.rast.  My understanding is that
cells in the map created by s.to.rast will contain just the value of the
last site in the list that falls within that cell.  On the other hand,
cells in the map created by the new program s.to.cell contain the _mean_ of
the values of all the sites in the list that fall within that cell.  It may
not be important for many applications, but s.to.cell uses _all_ the
information, while s.to.rast can potentially throw quite a bit away.

(I think s.to.rast is based on s.menu.  In coding s.to.cell I also re-used
chunks from s.menu, but had to write a new function to do the accumulation.
)

Simon Cox

Dr Simon Cox                          __  \
CSIRO Exploration & Mining         ,~'  L_|\    Australian
39 Fairway, PO Box 437,         ;-'         \   Geodynamics
Nedlands, WA  6009  Australia   (            \  Cooperative
      Phone +61 9 389 8421      +    ___     /  Research
      Fax   +61 9 389 1906       L~~'   "\__/   Centre
simon at ned.dem.csiro.au                     W
AGCRC info>>   http://www.dem.csiro.au/simon/crc/intro.html