ArcInfo2Grass, follow up

Grass package grass at sun1.bham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 5 08:00:00 EDT 1995

y?31??95?01?52?05?pm at bnr.ca>
content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Dear all,

I've done some checking with regard to my own question about moving vector
maps to ArcInfo, and with the help of Olga Waupotitsch I found that there
actually is no problem at all with v.out.arc except for some confusing
terminology in its man pages and in ArcInfo's Generate man page. What we
found was that although v.out.arc offers options to export either lines or
polygons, the files it produces (named *.lin or *.pol) are actually identical.
So there is no difference between a .pol and a .lin file. The manual doesn't
mention this. When such a file is imported into ArcInfo using GENERATE, the
user is again offered two options, one to import LINES the other POLYGONS.
However, the POLYGONS option does not accept .pol files coming from Grass
since it expects a format specifying ISLAND (ie fully formed) polygons. The
user should therefore always use the LINES option in GENERATE.

Martijn

Leverhulme Research Fellow, The Wroxeter Hinterland Project                  |
University of Birmingham Field Archaeology Unit                              |
Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT                                                |
Phone +44 121 414 5513  Fax +44 121 414 5516  E-mail P.M.van-Leusen at bham.ac.uk