state plane for N. Carolina

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Jun 13 17:49:32 EDT 1995

A friend has a 1:7200 map produced by the Forest Service (c.1972)
that says "1500 ft grid based on North Carolina State Plane coordinate
system." When trying to create a GRASS database location for
her to digitize the map, GRASS asks for a State Plane Zone.

Poking around $GISBASE/etc, I see two files: state27 and state83
(related to NAD27 and NAD83). For NC, it says 3200 is the zone.
This is the zone number that GRASS is looking for, right?

>From my surveying book, it says that State Plane systems usually use
lcc projection (instead of tmerc) when east-west extents are larger
than north-south. So, I assume that North Carolina uses LCC projection
with State Plane, right? I also assume that my friends Forest Service
map is a LCC projection, right?

I don't normally work with State Plane and I just wanted to check
with others before giving bad information.
Thanks,

Darrell

--
James Darrell McCauley, PhD             http://soils.ecn.purdue.edu/~mccauley/
Agricultural & Biological Engineering   mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Purdue University                       tel: 317.494.1198 fax: 317.496.1115