Questions about v.digit

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.nrcs.usda.gov
Thu Mar 30 07:00:00 EST 1995

> I have some questions about v.digit. I have grass 4.1 installed over a
> RS/6000 with AIX 3.1.
>
> Fist. Is it possible to have the text window always activated? If I press a
> button over the graphics window, Motif naturally activates it, and I have to
> switch to the other window in order to give commands. I think that
> a behavior like this can be changed for a special client through the
> .Xdefaults file, or some file like that. I have tested a bit, but without
> success. If someone has a solution, it would be great for the daily work with
> v.digit.
>
> Second. It was not possible to set up a Summagraphics IV Digitizer table to
> run with v.digit. I have tried the Calcomp Driver, setting the table to
> emulate it, but without a positive result. v.digit exits abnormally after
> registering the control points. Does anyone have a Summagraphics driver, or
> have used v.digit with a summagraphics?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
>                                 Amilcar E. Challu
>                                 Proatlas / CONICET
>                                 amilcar at atlas.edu.ar

If you are using a xterm window for your text then there are two
ways to do this.  If you are using something else then there is only
one.
1) Move the mouse into the xterm window.  Press the cntrl button and
   the left mouse button at the same time.  This will bring a menu up.
   Select "Secure Keyboard" from this menu.  This will reverse your
   video and all keyboard presses will be directed to this xterm window.
   As you move the mouse the window manager will still select other
   windows, but key presses will still go to the same xterm window.
   Repeat procedure to unselect.
2) You can change the selection procedure in the .Xdefaults file.
   I do not know what the resource is for AIX, but it should be
   something like this:
   OpenWindows.SetInput:        followmouse
   That is what is currently set.  Change this to read:
   OpenWindows.SetInput:        select
   Now you will have to click the mouse button in whatever window
   you wish to type in.

Check out your X manuals for exact procedures/resources.

Ken Sibley
USDA-NRCS/NCG                   "Hell, if you understand everything I say,
ksibley at ncg.nrcs.usda.gov        you'd be me!"  - Miles Davis