r.profile

Jane Rossing rossing at swlab.aben.cornell.edu
Mon Mar 6 09:37:34 EST 1995

Has anyone found a way to get good values from r.profile?  The problem is
that the values don't follow the correct order - and for the elevations
going up a hill, for example, they come out like a sawtooth.  It made me
very nervous about what was wrong with my elevation map, until I went
through the grassu archives, and found that this question has been asked
several times before.  Many people have found the same problem, but unfortunate
ly
no one seems to have supplied a solution.

I have soil moistures along several transects, and it would be perfect if I
could output the predictions of the hydrologic model along those same transects
using r.profile.  The only other idea I have is to MASK the transects and do a
report, and somehow (d.what.rast?) figure out which value is where on the actua
transect.  r.profile looked like the perfect program for my needs, but it
doesn't seem to be trustworthy.  Oh, I should add that all the transects run
from southwest to northeast.

Any ideas?  Thanks a million.

Jane Rossing
jr20 at cornell.edu