convert display to PostScript??

Stephen B. King sbk at apwk01g3.abrfc.noaa.gov
Mon Mar 6 16:50:59 EST 1995

Greetings,

Thanks to all who replied to my ps.map question.  Everything seems to work.

I was following a discussion in the archives regarding viewing files
created by ps.map with the Ghostview application and am wondering why I
can't.  The following error is generated:

Unexpected interpreter error -12!
Error object: (270)file 0x4009a488
Execution stack at 0x40009ce8:
..9ce8: 0x0c oper ------e--- 0x0009 0x40008a02 = %interp_exit

Finally, some have commented on the utility of PS as opposed to a simple
screen dump and the answer (as I understand it) is that PS allows the
resolution of the original image to be printed (subject to the resolution
of the printer) where as a screendump limits the graphic to the resolution
of the screen.  Note that what the screen displays is often only a
sampling of the true image depending on your monitor.  A simple raster
image may print nicely after being bitmapped (i.e., screendumped) but a
more complex graphic (i.e., an image classified from satellite imagery
will look better if a PS file is produced.  Output created from d.3d will
also look quite a bit nicer when ps.mapped as should text and lines in an
image.

Steve King
Hydrologist                                     10159 East 11th St., Suite 300
NOAA, National Weather Service                  Tulsa, Oklahoma  74128-3050
Arkansas-Red Basin River Forecast Center        Off: (918)832-4109
sbk at awips1.abrfc.noaa.gov                       FAX: (918)832-4101