elevation data

Mike Bender mike at ce.UManitoba.CA
Wed Mar 29 12:25:58 EST 1995

My problem is that I have vector contours that don't seem to have any information telling me what elevation they are!  I am unsure what steps to take to get this information or whether I still have this information.

I am currently trying to import elevation data (plus some other stuff) from DXF files into grass4.1.  During the import (v.in.dxf) there were WARNINGS about 3d data, which GRASS cannot accommodate.  I may have lost the elevation data for the contours then, or maybe not!  The map information comes from NTS maps from the Ministry of Natural Resources in Canada.  They are 1:50000 UTM with 10m intervals on the contours.  Hopefully, it will be possible to fix the contour information without manually entering elevation data for thousands of lines.

What is the procedure for converting vector contour lines into a DEM in GRASS?

Mike Bender
Facility for Intelligent Decision Support in Water Resources
Department of Civil & Geological Engineering
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, CANADA