ANSWERS ELEMENT rows and cols

Chris Rewerts rewerts at diego.cecer.army.mil
Tue May 16 15:54:25 EDT 1995

There is no script that I know of that does this... but it wouldn't be
impossible. However, in the case of r.answers, this is already done:

When running r.answers, the first step to create a simulation scenario
is to input a map of the watershed catchment area, the raster cell
resolution, and region coords, etc. Once given, one of the things
r.answers does it to create a reference map of the watershed areas. The
map will be created in your current mapset and given the name "<project
name>.ELEMENT" (where project name is the name you gave the current
r.answer project.)

In this map, the raster cell elements in the watershed area are
numbered sequentially as the grass category values and the grass
category descriptions contain the row and column numbers that ANSWERS
refers to in its diagnostic messages.

Thus, one can display the *.ELEMENT map for the project and, for instance,
use d.what.rast to query the row and col number for given raster elements.

Chris Rewerts                                           USACERL CECER-LL-N
Land Management Lab,   Natural Resource Assessment and Management Division
US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories, Champaign, IL, USA
rewerts at zorro.cecer.army.mil +1.217.352.6511 ext. 7588 FAX +1.217.373.7222
http://www.cecer.army.mil/hyplans/rewerts/rewerts.html