Color Palettes

Ted Cox tedc at alaska.net
Thu Nov 23 07:00:00 EST 1995

on??at?Nov?12??95?02?49?17?pm%bnr?ca}?{9511171059?AA22429%sun1?bham?ac?uk}@bnr.
ca>
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
organization: USDA/NRCS
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

grass at sun1.bham.ac.uk (Grass package) wrote:

>>   The quickest test I would use with r.colors is to take a simple raster map
>> with a single category and with r.colors do this:
>> r.colors map c=rules
>> > 1 brown
>> > end
>>
>> Next, look at the rgb value placed for the brown in the $LOCATION/colr/map f
ile.
>> (brown is 191:127:63)
>[stuff deleted]
>
>Alternatively, you probably have a file called 'rgb.txt' somewhere in your
>UNIX tree. Do a 'find' to find this. It is a long listing of rgb values
>and official color names, like so: 0 0 0 black, and by using a simple 'grep'
>script you can select those lines that are of interest to you. or that have
>rgb values similar to a known value.
>Hope this helps,
>
>       Martijn

>Leverhulme Research Fellow, The Wroxeter Hinterland Project                  |
>University of Birmingham Field Archaeology Unit                              |
>Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT  Phone +44 121 414 5513  Fax +44 121 414 5516  |
>E-mail P.M.van-Leusen at bham.ac.uk                                             |
>URL http://www.bham.ac.uk/BUFAU/Staff/vanleupm.html__________________________|

Another option. - I use an X utiltiy called xcolorsel to pick the color
I want for my grass colr file. xcolorsel will display the rgb.txt colors,
then you can easily cut & paste into your grass colr file. You can find
xcolorsel on sunsite.unc.edu - It compiled cleanly on sunos.