Want to know more about GRASS

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Wed Apr 10 08:00:00 EDT 1996

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, John M. Brown wrote:

>         Just introduced to GRASS and would like to know what type of
> computer I will need to run this software?  I heard there is a PC version
> being developed?  Is there anything for the Macintosh?
>
>         A friend said I will need a workstation such as a Silcon Graphics
> or Sun Sparc.  Does anyone have a used workstation for sale?

The only PC version I know of will be commercial and doesn't exist yet.
I don't know of a Mac version; but GRASS was designed for Unix and it
wouldn't feel the same on another OS.

I suggest you consider Linux.  This is a real Unix which runs on
PC hardware, and the GRASS port I got from Andreas Holz
<Andreas.Holz at oi32.kwu.siemens.de> seems pretty good to me.
He charges US$60, and it is a lot easier than downloading the
entire package from CERL.
There is also a port for SCO Open Desk Top.  This also runs on PC
hardware and gives one the false security of using a commercial OS.
However, I think Linux is better than SCO-ODT, and I know Andreas'
port is better than the SCO port.  (I did the SCO port myself a
couple years back.)

                                         Good Luck,
                                         Dave Mandel

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend