Problems importing USGS DEMs with m.dem.extract

Gordon Dewis gordon at pinetree.pinetree.org
Thu Jan 25 07:00:00 EST 1996

1
content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Hi all...

I'm having problems importing the following 1:250000 (1 degree) USGS DEMs
which I obtained from their FTP site:
        Toronto-e
        Toronto-w
        Buffalo-e
        Buffalo-w

When I examine the files using m.dem.examine, the coordinates reported
are (for Buffalo-e):    N 154800
                        E 0
                        S 151200
                        W -284400

In a UTM coordinate system, this places the DEM about 150 km north of the
equator.  (The study area is between 42 N and 44 N and 78 W and 80 W.)

The specifications for a USGS DEM say the coordinates in the header of the
DEM are in arc-seconds.  No problem... I would assume that m.dem.extract
will make the appropraite conversions, but that doesn't appear to
be the case.

I have tried using UTM and Lat/Lon coordinate systems and neither system
worked.  I've selected wgs72 for the spheroid as that is the spheroid
specified by the USGS.

I'm running GRASS 4.1 on a Linux box.  This is my first attempt to use
GRASS, though I've been messing around with it for a few months.

Thanks in advance :)

  --G

--
  Gordon Dewis             |  WWW Virtual Library Geography Section is now at:
  4th year Geography Hons  |    http://www.icomos.org/WWW_VL_Geography.html