EMACS modes for GIS usage (AML, ARC-INFO, etc.)

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Sat Jan 27 07:00:00 EST 1996

>#1/1
content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

I use various GIS software a lot, including Arc-Info, Erdas, and GRASS.
I also use GNU-emacs on my workstations.  So naturally, I use emacs
to edit data, write GIS software, etc.  In fact, I generally run
Arc-Info via the shell or telnet mode in emacs.  More and more I'm
writing emacs-lisp code to help me with some of these activities; and
someday I hope to turn these into complete modes.

Given this, I would like to know what other people have done along
this line.

Has anyone built a geographic calculator into emacs?

Has anyone tryed building a emacs front-end to GRASS or Arc-Info or LTPlus?

I once heard something about an emacs-aml mode.
Where can I get information about this?

As you see, I'm looking for very general background information
at this point.  Any information you can give me about emacs/GIS
links would be appreciated.

                                                Thank you,
                                                D. Mandel

P.S.  Please send a copy of any response directly to me as I
have limited access to the newsgroups.

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend