GEOCODING?

Eric Buddington eric at sparrow.ees.wesleyan.edu
Thu Mar 28 07:00:00 EST 1996

/1
references: <Pine.3.89.9603270922.E7363-0100000 at webnet.wn.com>
content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: ebuddington at wesleyan.edu
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Bret A. Schuhmacher wrote:

> Is there a publicly available way to get the lat/lon values for a street
> address? I'm looking for an affordable (<$100? free?)  geocoding system.
> Anyone know of such a beast?

TIGER/LINE files contain the data you need. If those files are freely
distributable, I can make them available via FTP. Does anyone know?

I am currently writing C++ code to parse TIGER/LINE files. I can also
send you a copy of that, if it would be useful.

-Eric Buddington