importing DLG elevation files

Louis Clarke lclarke at alb-co-r.swa.usace.army.mil
Thu Nov 21 17:09:52 EST 1996

Helena,
     Most of the editing I've done with the dig_cats file was during the
importing of ungenerated files from Arc/Info.  What I had to do was use
an underline character in place of any spaces.  Could you combine all 4
attributes into one, so when you use d.what.vect you have all 4 attributes
available for viewing?

> I've got some problem while importing DLG elevation file.
>
>  DLG Hypsography file has 4 attributes for each line so I've needed to
> create multiple attribute file as an option of v.import with base for
> multiple attributes=1. This file  was created but is additional to the
> regular dig_att files and is not linked to the imported vector file.
> As a result each line has the internal ID number as an attribute
> instead of needed elevation value. Besides when I tried to run
> v.reclass to change these attributes I've got the response that there
> is no category support for my vector file - nothing is residing in a
> dig_cats folder.
>  It would be great if somebody can answer these questions: How to
> assign the right attributes to the lines and How to create the
> category support in this case?

Just a thought.