d.mon problems on DEC Alpha (Digital Unix 3.2)

David Osborne David.Osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 27 12:44:26 EST 1996

I've recently completed a build of GRASS 4.1 update5 on a DEC Alpha running
Digital Unix 3.2 and although the non-X programs run OK, when we try to
start a monitor window, we get:

Graphics driver [x0] started
can't read index!
ERROR eof from graphics driver.
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
Please start graphics monitor <x0>
Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!

I've checked the fifo's (named pipes) in the dev directory and they all
look present and correct. Other X applications run OK. I don't have this
problem on my other GRASS installation on a Sun running Solaris 2.5.  It's
probably something simple but I can't see what it is.

David Osborne
--
David Osborne                         e-mail:
David.Osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
Cripps Computing Centre                             tel: +44 (0)115 951
3397
   (and Department of Geography)                    fax: +44 (0)115 951
3358
University of Nottingham
Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK          URL:
http://www.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk/~cczdao