sol 2.5.1 colormap allocation errors

atlas.il.nrcs.usda.gov!gomlra3!ohler atlas.il.nrcs.usda.gov!gomlra3!ohler
Thu Feb 6 11:04:00 EST 1997

Hello Grass users --

  I am running GRASS 4.1 update 5 on a sparc 5 with Solaris
  2.5.1. After compiling and recompiling the XDRIVER I
  still get the following error when executing d.mon:

 X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attribute)
   Major Opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColorMap)
   Serial Number of failed request: 229

  Poking around on the moon.ftp site I found a different XDRIVER
 called XDRIVER24.  I went ahead and compiled that one, and I
 am able to use it for the display device.  However, this driver
 does not allow floating point colormode.

  As an additional indicator there is something off on the machine,
 two related software packages have the same problem:

   - When trying to start LT Plus (compiled on site),
     I get an identical error to the one above.

   - When starting Grasslands (obtained from ftp site),
     an information box indicates the inability to create
     the colormap, then exits.

I would like to know if anyone has seen this before,
 and could suggest a remedy.

I appreciate your help...

Eric Ohler
USDA - NRCS