coordinates conversion

Massimo Vincini radlab1.pc.unicatt.it at aixmiced.mi.unicatt.it
Mon Feb 24 03:31:40 EST 1997

Marco posted:

I have to import a tiff map in to a raster map with latitude/longitude
projection (with use of r.in.tiff && r.rectify).

For this tiff map i have the coordinate of the upper left vertex
in the `GAUSS BOAGA timezone 1 system' and i need to convert these in
latitude/longitude.
The questions are:
		 - What does `GAUSS BOAGA timezone 1 system' mean ?

It' s an old Italian modified UTM projection which uses it's own
coordinate system and Rome 1950 Datum.

		 - How can i convert these in latitude/longitude ?

I suppose that the easiest way is to get a map of the zone with both
Gauss-Boaga and geographic coordinates (there are several).

		 - Where can i get some docs about this ?

Any Italian cartography text should be usefoul.

Hope this helps.
Ciao.

Massimo Vincini- agronomist
funzionario tecnico Facolta di Agraria
Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore - Piacenza
phone: +39(0)523-599155  fax:39(0)523-599358
E-mail: radlab1 at pc.unicatt.it