Color map problems

Angus Carr apcarr at FLASH.LakeheadU.CA
Wed Feb 26 19:26:53 EST 1997

This sounds like a problem for r.colormode float.
try that, then d.rast the gif file again.

The problem is that grass uses a 256 colour colormap, using (by default) a
fixed set of colors that represent a systematic selection through the
colours. It is not optimized for any particular image. Your gif file is
being forced to use this color map, rather than its own. r.colormode float
will allowthe image to use its own colormap. The rest of the system will
retain the normal colormap, so thing will flash in and out all the time.
Try it....

Angus Carr,
Masters of Forestry student