Problems building GRASS on DEC Alpha

David.Osborne at nottingham.ac.uk David.Osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 7 13:15:44 EST 1997

I've hit a snag with the DEC Alpha port of GRASS.

After unpacking the 4.1 update 5 sources from the S5.cpio* files, I then
applied the Floating_pt update (ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/pub/grass/outgoing/Flo
ating_pt) with both its updates (8 and 9), as recommended in James Ganong's
notes to his port for Alphas running OSF1 (ftp://ftp.regis.berkeley.edu/pub/gras
s/grass-alpha-axp-0.7.tar.Z).

The problem seems to be in the file src/include/gis.h extracted from the
fp_main.tar.Z archive in the Floating_pt update: this omits the structure
Cat_list within the definition of structure Categories (at about line 51). The
compilation of src/xgrass/display/crtecolor.c then fails because it attempts to
refer to elements of the (now omitted) nested structure.

Is there a way round this? What is the recommended order of unpacking the
standard sources and any updates?

With the grass-alpha-axp-0.7 package, I've certainly got further than my last
attemp, but I still had to make a few source changes, mainly in the
src/xgrass/libes/Xgi directory (e.g., Matrix.c), to pick up correct Motif
definitions.

I get the feeling that the Alpha port can't have been widely used on recent
versions of OSF1 (now called Digital Unix) -- ours is version 3.2. It's
certainly more troublesome than our Sun Solaris installation I did about 18
months ago.

David Osborne                         e-mail: David.Osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
Cripps Computing Centre                             tel: +44 (0)115 951 3397
   (and Department of Geography)                    fax: +44 (0)115 951 3358
University of Nottingham
Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK              Web: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~cczdao