looking for r.proj

Simon Cox simon at ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Jan 10 10:13:44 EST 1997

Teresa Salyer wrote:

> I'm trying to find a compiled program called r.proj to change a raster
> map from one projection to another.  The raster map I have is in albers
> equal area and I need it in utm.  Does anyone have any suggestions.

Teresa:
I wrote a script r.proj which you can find bundled up with a
Gmakefile, etc at

ftp://ftp.ned.dem.csiro.au/pub/r.proj.tar.gz

You need to have Gerry Evenden's PROJ software installed, and
also Darrell McCauley's s.sample.  On the latter, however, we
have also enhanced s.sample to make improvements in the memory
management.  This reduces the time to re-project some maps from
>24 hours to a matter of minutes, so is strongly recommended.
Our s.sample can also be found at

ftp://ftp.ned.dem.csiro.au/pub/s.sample.tar.gz

The r.proj script has only been tested on mercator, simple conic,
and UTM (from memory ...) and will almost certainly need some
tinkering with for other projections.  It all depends on the
argument list passed to the "proj" steps.  There are normally
two calls to "proj" - one inverse, to get from your source
projection to lat-long, and then one forward to get from lat-long
to your target projection.  You should inspect the code for
both of these steps.

Good luck				Simon Cox

Dr Simon Cox - Australian Geodynamics Cooperative Research Centre
CSIRO Exploration & Mining,  PO Box 437,  Nedlands, WA 6009 Australia
T:  +61 9 389 8421    F:  +61 9 389 1906   simon at ned.dem.csiro.au
http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/unrestricted/people/CoxSimon/