xgrass on solaris2.5- same problem

Justin Hickey jhickey
Wed Jun 4 04:57:27 EDT 1997

Hello Michel and Thomas

On Jun 2, 10:16am, Thomas Foster wrote:
> Subject: Re: xgrass on solaris2.5- same problem
> I recently did the same thing except that i used binaries on a Solaris
> 2.4 machine and have the exact same problem.  any help is appreciated
>

> Michel Peyret wrote:
> >
> >   In both cases, xgrass is not able to get the string I type from the
> > keyboard. When I choose "Add items" from the "Startup Dialog menu",
> > I try to create a new session, but the characters I type don't appear
> > in the corresponding window and xgrass tells me I didn't entry anything.

The following is a post I sent to the grass user's list before and deals with
the Startup Dialog menu. Although it does not fix the dialog box, it does
present a work around for still using grass.

============================= begin included message ==========================

The "Add Items..." dialog box does not work for us either as you stated above
(at least for our SGI's). However, there is a workaround if you don't want to
be bothered with trying to fix the code. There should be a file in the
directory $GIS/etc (where $GIS is the grass directory) called
"databases". If it doesn't exist, you can create it. This is the file that
contains the list of available databases for grass. Each line of the file is
simply the complete path of a grass data directory. For example xgrass on our
machine has two databases listed, so the $GIS/etc/databases file contains 2
lines as follows:

/usr/people/grass/data
/usr/people/jhickey/grass/data

In your case, in order to use xgrass you first insert the directory path of
your grass data in the $GIS/etc/databases file. Then start xgrass, your grass
data directory should now appear in the "Database" list. Select the database
and a list of the locations in your data directory should appear (eg
spearfish). Next, select the location you want and the mapsets should then
appear (eg PERMANENT). Then you select the mapset and click the "Accept" button
and the xgrass menubar should appear. To create a session all you have to do is
quit xgrass from the menubar "Quit" button which will pop up a dialog box
asking if you want to save your changes and gives you directions on how to save
a new session.

You will have to quit xgrass and then start it again to get the new session,
but this procedure is quite a bit easier than finding and fixing the code.

I hope this helps for both of you and you can feel free to contact me if you
have any problems.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th