d.mon problem

Thomas Foster htf1 at psu.edu
Tue Jun 10 16:30:31 EDT 1997

I have recently installed Grass 4.15 running on Linux and I was trying to
display a monitor with d.mon.   At first I got an error saying to change the
permissions in the /usr/grass/dev/fifo.* files.   I did, then I got the
following error:

Graphics driver [x1] started
Error - Could not complete locking process for monitor <x1>.
Lock file is /usr/grass/locks/foster/mon.49158
Problem selecting x1.  will try once more
Error - Could not complete locking process for monitor <x1>.
Lock file is /usr/grass/locks/foster/mon.49158

and then a monitor screen pops up but I can't do anything with it and d.mon
says that there are no monitors running.

What am I doing wrong.   I am new to Grass.   I read the manual on d.mon but
it didn't tell me anything about Lock files.   Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks

Thomas Foster                            email: htf1 at psu.edu
Pennsylvania State University       voice: 814-865-1231
Department of Anthropology        fax:  814-863-1474
409 Carpenter Bldg.
University Park, PA 16802