Too many raster files open

William L. Baker BakerWL at UWYO.EDU
Thu Jun 12 16:50:15 EDT 1997

Michael,

I asked this question a few months ago, as I have a simulation model
that repeatedly opens raster files and then closes them that produces
this error message.  My code definitely closes the raster files after
opening them, but I still get this message, so I can only run for limited
iterations.  No one had a remedy, but someone did point out where the
message comes from, but now when I look I see that I've lost that
information.  Perhaps by using "grep" in the source code, one could
find the place and fix up the code so this does not occur, which is
what I had planned to do when I have the time...Let me know if you
figure out a solution!

Bill Baker
University of Wyoming
 ----------
From: grassu
To: grassu
Subject: Too many raster files open
Date: Thursday, June 12, 1997 10:07AM

Fellow grass users,

I sent this message to the progammer's list but have yet to hear from
anyone.

I'm writing my very first program.  It is a C program that uses system() to
repeatedly call r.reclass to set a new mask, then call r.stats to determine
the

dominant soil series, and then call r.cats to determine the soil series
name.

The program works fine for about 30 iterations, but then gives me an error
message something like "Too many raster files open".  My questions are:

1) Why do raster files stay open when used by the r.reclass, r.stats, and
r.cats
modules?

2) How can I close them after I use them?

If anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate your insight.

Mike

Michael Hanratty                           Phone: (612) 627-4590
St. Anthony Falls Laboratory               Fax: (612) 627-4609
Dept. of Civil Engineering
University of Minnesota
Mississippi River @ 3rd Ave. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414