Problem with sites.c in fp_sites_datetime-3.tar

Justin Hickey jhickey
Mon Jun 16 07:21:27 EDT 1997

Hello all

I'm trying to compile GRASS with the floating point code and have come across a
problem. I first downloaded the fp_main and fp_alpha files off the floating
point outgoing directory and tried compiling them as per the readme file on the
site. However, when compiling the d.sites command
($GIS/src/display/d.sites/cmd) the linker complained that the "datetime"
library was not found. Further search on the floating point ftp site found the
file fp_sites_datetime-3.tar and I downloaded it. Now when compiling the
d.sites command the linker says that two functions are undefined in the file
$GIS/src/libes/gis/sites.c.

Upon inspection, it turns out that there are two versions of the sites.c file
in the floating point code: one from fp_main and the other (a newer version)
from fp_sites_datetime-3. The only difference between the two files is the last
revision of the sites.c file indicated below from the file itself:

Revision 1.40  1996/05/23  brown
 * changed DateTime stuff to use TimeStamp instead

The two undefined functions the linker is complaining about (namely
G_format_timestamp and G_scan_timestamp) were introduced by this revision.
However, a recursive grep through the GRASS directory tree indicates that these
functions are not defined anywhere.

I originally thought that the reference to "brown" in the revision comment was
a reference to Bill Brown, the webmaster of the GRASS web pages (the original
author was Darrell McCauley). However, an e-mail to him has gone unanswered
(maybe he's on vacation). So I've turned to the ever helpful GRASS experts.
Does anyone know where I can obtain these two functions? Should someone add
these functions to the fp_sites_datetime-3.tar file on the ftp site? Or should
I just revert back to the sites.c file in the fp_main file and hope it doesn't
break the code in the fp_sites_datetime-3 file? Has anyone successfully
compiled the floating point code?

Any information would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time and
effort in this matter.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th