Problems starting GRASS for Linux

James Hughes jamesh at bluewall.com
Wed Jun 18 19:37:45 EDT 1997

Howard Evan Canfield wrote:

> Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka wrote:
> >
> > Hello !
> > I just installed GRASS 4.1.5 on my Linux-System (Kernel 2.0.29), but when starting with
> > GRASS4.1 I got the following error-message:
> > /home/lingrass415/etc/gis_set: Can't load library libcurses.so.1
> > What can I do to run GRASS ?
> > There is no file libcurses.so.1 on my system, so where can I get it from or what file
> > do I have to symbolically link to the name libcurses.so.1 ? I tried it with linking libcurses.so.0.1.2 to
> > libcurses.so.1 but with the same result.
> >
> > Thanks for your help in advance !

> > \    Andreas Ruzicka                    \
> > /    Schweitzerweg 3                    /
> > \    D-82380 Peissenberg                \
> > /    Tel: ++49-8803-60424               /
> > \    eMail: e.a.ruzicka at wm.infranet.de  \
> > /       oder E.A.Ruzicka at T-Online.de    /
> > \_______________________________________\
>
> I too have been having problems getting GRASS 4.1 to run on Linux
> 2.0.29.  I had been using GRASS4.1 on Linux 1.12.13 (Slackware 3.0).  I
> updated my Linux and now I'm getting the can't load libcurses.so.1
> message.  I made sure that this file is in the /usr/lib location.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Me Too! I upgraded the g++ libraries, then upgraded ncurses. I now get
the message...

	can't resolve symbol '__waddbytes'

	...which is missing from the new g++ libraries. I havn't been able to
try it yet. But, I think backing down to the previous version of g++
libraries, then re-building the ncurses library might fix it.

Another route might be to re-compile Grass against the newer g++/ncurses
libraries??

-James