GRASS monitor in Java?

Simon Cox simon at ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Jun 20 16:49:26 EDT 1997

Martin Ameskamp wrote:

> I've been thinking of GIS and the Internet recently ... should make
> it fairly easy to write a new GRASS monitor as a Java applet ...

Martin - nice idea - maybe this is a fortunate legacy of the
rather old-fashioned Grass monitor architecture (the legacy
that forced the clumsy fifo X implementation).
However, before you go too far, bear in mind that a number of
interoperability efforts (eg OGIS - itself with its origins
firmly in the Grass camp!) should make platform specific
solutions less and less appropriate.

> Before I delve into this, I'd like to know whether anybody's been
> there already? I'm aware of at least two projects involving the net
> and GRASS (GRASSLinks and GRASS Lite using CGI), but I haven't come
> across any Java monitors.

In GRASSLinks, for example,
(see http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/AGCRC/4dgm )
my recent tinkerings have mainly
been aimed at isolating the Grass-specific components more
and more so that Grass acts primarily as the database server -
the analysis and some of the graphics now use non-Grass
components.  In due course then Grass could be replaced as
the database server quite simply, or data might be retrieved
from other databases (possibly over the web) as well.

I'd rather see WWW platform efforts aimed at a more generic
multiple layer display-and-query capability with a well
defined interface that could then be attached to a variety of
data servers.  In this context, we are planning on moving to
a more general visualisation system including both image and 3D
to display data sourced from a variety of sources, including a
GRASS database.  Our current intention would be to use VRML
extensively for graphics.  (VRML and Java are supposed to be
working better together in the future, though Sun have recently
proposed their own graphics extensions to Java.)  This also
builds on a "universal" data-model framework that we have been
working on for a while now.  For more information, check out
http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/DMGE/
Dr Simon Cox - Australian Geodynamics Cooperative Research Centre
CSIRO Exploration & Mining, PO Box 437, Nedlands, WA 6009 Australia
T:  +61 8 9389 8421   F:  +61 8 9389 1906   simon at ned.dem.csiro.au
http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/CoxSimon/