Problems to install GRASS in Sun Solaris 2.5.1

Peizhong Wu wupz at engin.umich.edu
Thu May 15 15:11:54 EDT 1997

Hi, I am a new comer of GRASS and get some trouble how to install
GRASS4.1 (Update 5) in Sun Ultra Sparc running Solaris 2.5.1.

(1) When I compile it using the Sun CC, I get the following error message:

       ld: fatal: symbol `Def_term' is multiply defined:
        (file /usr/ucblib/libcurses.a(curses.o) and file
        /usr/ccs/lib/libtermlib.a(setupterm.o));

(2) Using Gnu gcc, I can install it sucessfully. But when I run:
  d.mon start=x4, I get a graphic window and error message:

  GRASS 4.1 > d.mon start=x4
  Graphics driver [x4] started
  Please start graphics monitor <x4>.
  Error - Graphics monitor <x4> not running!
  Problem selecting x4. Will try once more

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks very much

Peizhong Wu
Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Science Department
University of Michigan