Announce: GRASS 4.2.1 V.13 released

Scott O'Donnell odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov
Thu Apr 16 14:22:21 EDT 1998

Markus,

I really appreciate your hard work, updating and distributing
GRASS 4.2.1.  I've been using GRASS 4.1 for nearly two years.
Recently (this past weekend), I downloaded GRASS 4.2.1 v.12
and built it to get the various "new and improved" GRASS
programs.  Your included instructions made the rebuild pretty
easy.  I'm looking forward to using several of the new programs,
r.kineros, r.water.outlet.3.0, r.out.mpeg, r.colortool, d.pan,
and many others.

Over my slow internet connection, it took 3.5+ hours to download
the 33+ Mb v.12  grass_src.tgz file.  I don't relish the idea
of spending 5+ hrs. more to obtain the latest update, yet I'd
like to get some of new features (the new start scripts in
tcltkgrass, proj4.3, ps.map, d.vect.cats).

I hate to ask this of you, because it will increase your
workload (but maybe it's an easy thing to do).  Would it be
difficult to provide a "patch" update, so I (or we in the GRASS
User community) could get the new features and update the
directories and files that changed?  I know that I would still
need to rebuild the grass source tree, but that's the quick part
of the upgrade work.  Perhaps there are others interested in
just a patch upgrade.  If it's too difficult, I understand,
and I'll just have to bite the bullet and download the entire
new file.

Thanks for your your consideration of my request,
Scott O'Donnell
---

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Dear GRASS Community,
>
> after some more xx hours of work the next release of
> GRASS 4.2.1 is available! My personal thanks to the
> helpful people (see below) all over the world...

[snip]

--
If you write a procedure                 Scott O'Donnell
  with 10 parameters,                    odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov
you probably forgot some.                303 497 6562