Converting color photos to RGB images

Leslie Apollon la at las.com
Tue Aug 18 08:08:42 EDT 1998

At 02:49 PM 8/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I have a query I am hoping someone can help with. I have a series of old
>color photographs of an area which I need to scan and study to see how it
>has changed. Is there any algorthm to convert a composite color photograph
>into individual RGB intensities? Is there a unique way of doing so? Or
>even a heuristic which may have some (hopefully estimatable) degree of
>error in back-converting? How do people usually deal with this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Harini Nagendra

One of the features of the r.mapcalc program is a function that extracts
the color
components ( red, green and blue) of a raster file. the syntax is:

         r.mapcalc red_output_map = r#input_map
         r.mapcalc green_output_map = g#input_map
         r.mapcalc blue_output_map = b#input_map

Leslie Apollon, M.Sc. Conseiller SIG - Support Technique

Global Geomatics Inc.(formerly L.A.S. Inc.)
1600, Boul. St-Martin Est,   tel:(450) 668-4949 poste 201
bureau 650, Tour A           fax:(450) 668-2822
Laval, Québec, Canada
H7G 4R8

On the Web: http://www.globalgeo.com