Importing ArcInfo files

Andrew M McDermott mcdermam at potsdam.edu
Tue Aug 18 11:28:07 EDT 1998

these are arc info interchange (export) files and must be converted to arc
files to import them. I have had to do a similar thing for Idrisi and
learned that the data file format for .e00 files is proprietary and so you
are forced to find a utility that exists within another program (like Arc
Info) or to go the long way around. There is a program (free) to convert to
Idrisi format with some "loss" of category information (i.e. you have to
bust your ass to figure it out if you want the categories), and Idrisi can
export arc info arc files which grass can import directly (sans the legend
info which you'll need to reconstruct). Interested? Do a web search on
ETV2000 or go to the University of Berne home page and hunt around.

If you can't get Idrisi anywhere or otherwise get stuck, your files are
small enough that I could do it for you pretty quickly.

I'll do one and send it on for example.