CELL driver - 24 bit

Frank Lederer Lederer at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Aug 27 17:41:01 EDT 1998

Hi all,
here my previous question:
> when I r.out.tiff rastermaps, they look much better than displayed in
> the grass-monitor, the full amount of colors is visible by using an
> external viewer. When I r.out.tiff the d.3d-D_cell, the image is looking
> as poor as at the grass-monitor....  What is the reason, is there a way
> to get a D_cell.tiff of better quality?

As Malcolm said, the CELL driver seems to be only 8-bit. So I looked at
the sources and found following in/src/display/devices/CELL/Graph_Set.c:
 * NCOLORS is set to the total number of colors available on the device.  This
 * most certainly needs to be more than 100 (or so).

int   NCOLORS      = 256 ;

So I increased NCOLORS - but when I want to have more than 310 colors
(I'm working on a linux-machine / XDRIVER24), the cell driver does not
start.Maybe somebody on the list has experiences with this problem (does
Dave Gerdes listen??). It would be a big benefit for grass

cheers
        	Frank

   		Frank Lederer
   		Sandweg 64