advice to novice

Andrew M McDermott mcdermam at potsdam.edu
Mon Aug 31 11:08:36 EDT 1998

At 09:22 PM 8/31/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello GRASS community
>I apologise for troubling the list with this question. I have given the
>problem my attention but I cannot find the source of the difficulty. While
>I wait for a copy of 'Running Linux" to be delivered, perhaps someone can
>give some brief advice.
> The problem is that bash returns 'grass4.2:cannot find command' when I
>issue the 'grass4.2' command in /usr/local/grass42/  , and in
/usr/local/bin.
>I did have GRASS running earlier, but for several reasons, formatted my
>partitions and reinstalled both Red Hat Linux 5.0 and GRASS4.2 again.
>Rereading the install directions for the Linux binaries, I believe I have
>followed them fully.
>
>Thnaks in advance to those who can offer some pointers.
>David Hine
>David Hine
>Sustainable Farm Design Works
>Atkins Rd.  Cawongla
>via Kyogle NSW  2474
>Australia
>
> http://nrg.com.au/~fresherb
>
>Sustainable Agriculture: Productivity, System Resilience, Maintenance of
>Natural Assets, and Equity for Producers.
> Assuming that you created the shell script grass4.2, indeed named it
that, and placed a copy or a symlink in either /usr/local/bin or elsewhere
in your path, then I would check to make certain that you made it
executable (chmod /usr/local/"wherever"/grass4.2 a+x).
I would also check to be certain that anything referenced in the script
grass4.2 is in the proper location and is executable.