GRASS and maplayout etc

Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka E.A.Ruzicka at T-Online.de
Tue Jul 21 03:39:56 EDT 1998

Hello GRASS-Users !
I have some questions concerning the functionality of GRASS:
- How can I create pleasing maps with GRASS ? (I can't get mapgen running on my Linux system !)
- What is XGRASS ? Just a frontend to GRASS or a stand alone product ?
- I have to make a quick decision which GIS-Software to work with for finishing a project modeling erosion losses
	and nutrient immissions into rivers and lakes in a medium watershed in southern Germany
	Therefore I need the following functions:
	- DEM-Support (3D perspective view with polygon data draped over the DEM, slope calculation)
	- Raster overlay and multiplication
	- Display, edit and layout vectorpolygons depending on their database attributes (i.e. all areas
		with landuse farmland should be displayed in brown, with forest on it green etc)
	- Compute watersheds out of the DEM
	- Produce pleasing maps
	- Import data from ARC/INFO (polygons with attributes in e00 format), ArcView (polygons,
		lines and points with attributes), DXF, ASCII-rasters and DEMs
 Is all this possible with GRASS or should I purchase a commercial product like TNTmips or ERMapper
 (I can't afford purchasing ARC/INFO !)

Thanks for your help !
apr

G e o D a t a P l a n
Geoinformatics, IT-Consulting, GIS-aided planning
Andreas Paukner-Ruzicka, Gartenstr. 2,
D-82380 Peissenberg, Germany
Tel: +49-08803-630317, Fax: +49-08803-630318
eMail: gdp.geoinformatik at t-online.de
Homepage: http://home.t-online.de/home/gdp.geoinformatik