Wanted: ArcView and ArcInfo on Linux

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Wed Jul 22 18:45:17 EDT 1998

Please forgive me.  This is a little off topic, but I think a lot of
GRASS users also use ArcView and/or ArcInfo and are interested in GIS on
Linux.  Next week is the ESRI User Conference in San Diego.  I'm not going
myself, but it would be an ideal time to ask ESRI about porting their
products to Linux.

I have talked to them about this in the past, and while they haven't
always been very encouraging, they have listened.  In fact, Jack
Dangermond indicated that ESRI would be interested if it made sense
financially.  Well, now that Ingres, Informix, and Oracle are all coming
out on (Intel based) Linux; we have a different world.

Thus, if you are attending the ESRI User Conference and would like
to be able to run ArcView, ArcInfo, and GRASS on the same affordable,
stable, open platform; ask ESRI about the possibility.

                                                Sincerely yours,
                                                David Mandel
                                                Portland, Oregon
                                                USA
                                                dmandel at transport.com
                                                (503) 952-6570

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend