Discussion on 4.2.1 update frequency

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Jun 19 11:30:50 EDT 1998

Dear GRASS Community,

you may have realized that the update frequency for
GRASS 4.2.1 is very high. I would like to ask you
(start a discussion on this point), what way do you
prefer for future development:

 Sceneries (all ways certainly with publishing of small
            update packages beside the full code package):

  a) update with high frequency (all 2 weeks depending
                         on input like today)

  b) update with medium frequency (monthly for example)

  c) update with less frequency (e.g. collecting changes for
                                 half a year)

I expect that the base package of GRASS 5.0 will be
published in late summer 1998. Because all functions could
not yet be included in that distribution, GRASS 4.2.1 will
survive for some time in parallel to allow a "soft migration".
Later this year (or next year) the other functionality of
4.2 will be migrated to 5.0.
Therefore I need your opinion on future development of 4.2.1.

Hope to hear from you soon (I suggest to discuss on this topic
through the mailing list to make it most public),

   Markus Neteler

Geographisches Institut           |            Institute of Geography
   Physische Geographie                          Physical Geography
 & Landschaftsoekologie                        & Landscape Ecology
Universitaet Hannover                 University of Hannover, Germany
                     neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
             http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/users/neteler/