problems to open graphics device

David Wheatley D.W.Wheatley at soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 07:13:57 EST 1998

Hi,

My x-server for Windows runs the standard 8-bit monitor on my (24-bit)
graphics screen. This might be an easier solution than compiling the
XDRIVER24 code, as you won't need to change GRASS at all, just your PC.

The one I use is 'Micro X-Win32' for Win95/NT (around $200 from Starnet:
sales at starnet.com). You simply tell the server to do 'Pseudocolor
support in 24-bit mode' and it fools the grass 8-bit monitors into
thinking they are working on a pseudocolor display. You can get a demo
of this which runs for 2 hours at a time, to test this out. Other
x-servers (e.g. StarNet's Win3.1 version, or Vista eXceed, or the one
packaged with NT server) might do this as well now for all I know.

Just a thought.

David Wheatley
Department of Archaeology
University of Southampton