About LTPlus

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Sat Nov 7 00:22:43 EST 1998

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

> Hi all,
> Has anyone successfully run LTPLUS on Linux?
> I installed the software on my Linux Machine
> but am getting a core dump when I choose to create map.
> BTW LTPLUS is a raster-to-vector conversion tool that
> is available at http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/

LTPlus is a pretty neat program which had great potential.
Altho it is dated, it is still one of the most efficient raster2vector
systems around; and certainly the best map oriented one.
I understand that the version distributed with GRASS has
been ported to Linux.  Unfortunately, this version is somewhat
broken.

John Dabritz wrote and maintained LTPlus as a US Forest Service
employee.  When USFS dropped support for LTPlus in or around 1992/93, John
and his colaborators had completed version 2.36.  This was the last
Open Source version of LTPlus; and altho it only ran on SCO Unix it was
much better than the one distributed with GRASS.  (Note:  All of
John's LTPlus versions, including LTPlus 2.36 use SVGA graphics
which give his LTPlus software better preformance than versions
running under X-Windows.)

In 1995/96 Dan Haskell ported version 2.36 to Linux, and was selling it
for about $100.00 as proprietary software.  It was an excellent product
which used the Linux SVGA library to get the best preformance of any
LTPlus product I have ever seen.  I don't know what the status of his
product is; but I will check when I see him.  Maybe I can convince him
to Open Source it, but I'm not making any promises.

                                        Sincerely,

                                        David Mandel
                                        Chief Activist
                                        Portland Linux Users Group

 David Mandel, Linux Activist               dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic           (503) 243-1940
                Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  Seattle  *  Salem  *  Eugene  *  Bend