surface

Hartwig Harder harder at mpch-mainz.mpg.de
Wed Sep 2 04:24:45 EDT 1998

At 19:16 01.09.98 -0700, you wrote:
>I am trying to grid a fairly flat topography with random points
>averaging about 40-100ft. apart using surface. Despite all my
>efforts it produces maps in which the original pts appear as
>discontiguous highs and lows producing little "dimples".

Yes, I had the same problem. Incresing the tension, as Ben suggested did
not help in my case. It seems to be a question how you choose the
resolution for 'surface' with respect to the gridding in your data set. The
solution for my problem was to use in 'blockmean' the same resolution as
for 'surface'. As soon as the resolution for b&s differs, I got artefacts.
Cheers,
   Hartwig

-----

Hartwig Harder                         e-mail: harder at mpch-mainz.mpg.de
Max Planck Institute for Chem.   phone : +49-6131-305-496
P.O. Box 3060                           fax   : +49-6131-305-436
D-55020 Mainz