Grass4.2.1 on MkLinux

Stevan Bullard sbullard at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 28 10:28:28 EDT 1998

The good news is : Yes Grass will compile under Mklinux.
The bad news : I'm not entirely sure how I did it. :-)
I think all of the problems I had with the Grass code have been fixed by
about version 15. version 18 compiled except for a couple of modules.
r.binfer was one and I can remember the other.
Most of the problems seemed to be on the Mklinux side.  The Grass code is a
mix of traditional C and ansi C and the compiler from DR2.1 had a lot of
problems with it I finally got a workable system with a combination of
DR.21 and about 1/3 of the code from pre-DR3. If you're running DR3 you may
not have the same problems I did BUT DR3 changed compilers from gcc to egcs
so I can't say for sure.
One key is in the file /../src421/src/CMD/head/your file  ( this is a file
you create from a gereric model to instruct the compiler)  the line
COMPILE_FLAGS =   should read

COMPILE_FLAGS= -02 -mcpu=powerpc -fsigned-char

-02 sets the level of optimization and isn't so important
-mcpu=powerpc tells the compiler to write code for the powermac and is necessary
-fsigned-char  fixes a bug in Mklinux

Good luck, if you have problems email me or post the the list and I'll look
through my notes and see if I had the same problem and found a solution.