grass on windows via cygwin (or interix(opennt) ?

Angus Carr apcarr at FLASH.LakeheadU.CA
Tue Apr 27 15:13:16 EDT 1999

I had a moment of madness in idleness, and had a kick at this. It isn't
hard in principle. I had to get ncurses set up, and some other things. I
got distracted by my real job, so I had to stop.

I am a Linux geek who has to work in ArcView, so I used this compiler to
develop a DLL for ArcView. The compiler works fine at compiling programs
originally built for Unix.

Keep in mind that I did not succeed, but that was not from the difficulty
of the task.

The real problems you will encounter :

FIFO's are not supported by the cygwin dll. You will need to modify the
XDRIVER and libraries to use a shared memory message-passing method. Check
out MessQ if you want to do this. It was for this very purpose.

After downloading the compiler, you will also need curses, the X libraries
and one or two other things. Not a problem, but slightly frustrating to be
constantly downloading.

Angus Carr.
ps. For those of you who don't know of the compiler to which Bob refers,
it is a free GCC based compiler for Win32 platforms. It supports most
components of the Unix API, and seems to do a good job, even of those
components that do not exist in Windows (like symbolic links...). It is
available at http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32